Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Eggnog French Toast



I didn't have to go to work this morning so I made eggnog french toast. I've been looking up recipes using eggnog, mostly cakes, but came across this one and thought it was brilliant.


I used Promised Land Eggnog, and still can't decide if its mild or strong. Probably in between, but not strong enough to taste in the french toast. I remember from last year that Borden's eggnog was mild in flavor too. Oak Farm's eggnog was stronger, which I used in a cheesecake recipe and the flavor stood out, so I'd like to try this again sometime with Oak Farm's eggnog.



I think fresh nutmeg would be nice too, because I didn't taste it either. Still a good breakfast though, and I enjoyed cooking on the griddle this time - so much easier.



Eggnog French Toast

4 eggs
1 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2.5 tablespoons butter
10 slices of white bread (not toasted, not stale)

Directions
Preheat your pan on the stove to medium heat or to 350 degrees if using a griddle. Whisk the first four ingredients into a 8x8 dish. Cut 1/4 tablespoon butter and place into one corner of your pan. If it melts and sizzles slightly, without smoking or burning it is at the right temperature. Coat one corner of your pan with the butter. Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture and flip to coat both sides. Place on top of the melted butter inside the pan. Repeat with all slices. Cook for about 6-8 minutes on the first side and about 3-4 minutes on the second side, until they look golden brown. After every two slices I dip, I sprinkle more nutmeg into the egg mixture, to be sure each slice gets a good amount.

Optional topping ideas: fresh fruit (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, bananas, or oranges) maple syrup, a light dusting of powdered sugar, or whipped cream. Of course, drink with eggnog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Installation and Coding by Designs by Linds 2011