Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tiramisu - Two Ways

I had been holding it off long enough- attempting my first tiramisu. It’s about time! But with so many recipes out there, which to choose from? So I decided to start with the face of Italian elegance- Giada De Laurentiis. I made both of her recipes at the same time to taste them side by side and see which one I like better.  

Giada's Chocolate Tiramisu has five stars and 118 reviews. It has a light chocolate flavor. The filling was lighter and fluffier than the proceeding recipe, and a lighter coffee flavor. Basically, it was a lighter version, and didn’t really taste like your classic tiramisu you’d eat at a fancy restaurant. Then again, I omitted the Marsala but I don’t think that would have helped the texture.






Giada's Tiramisu has four stars and 199 reviews. This one tasted more authentic. I loved how you could still taste the sweetened mascarpone because it wasn’t flavored with chocolate. Instead of rum, I used a combination of vanilla and almond extract. It had great flavor. This tiramisu was a little denser.


Here’s what the recipes did not tell me: they both taste 200 times better after 48 hours. In fact, I didn’t like them at all when trying them for the first time. They had chilled for probably about 8 hours. The next day, the flavors melded more and it tasted better. Finally, the next day, when there was only one little piece left to try- yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Installation and Coding by Designs by Linds 2011