Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fried Banana Nutella Rolls - Banana Haru Maki


Fresh banana and nutella wrapped in an egg-roll style wonton, deep-fried and rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Topped with chocolate and caramel sauce. Served warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


Is your tongue on the floor yet? I saw Samrena pin these. They looked so freakin good I had to make them that very day. I just had something similar at Sushi Zushi. It's called banana haru maki. Delicious.


Naven said these were one of the best things I ever made. And they were so easy! :)


The only uneasy thing was trying to find spring roll or egg roll wrappers at the store. I looked everywhere. I tired myself out looking and asking. I couldn't find them. Had to improvise. I just grabbed frozen puff pastry dough. I guess I really wanted to make these that day. 


I rolled out the dough to make it as flat as I could, but still able to keep its shape. I cut my own little wrappers, probably about 6 inches x 6 inches. Here's a better picture of how to wrap it. Basically, put 2 tablespoons of the nutella in the center of the wrapper and then place half a banana in the corner. Wrap that corner over the banana. Then bring the corners to the left and right of the banana in together and pinch them together to combine them. Then roll the banana to the last corner on the opposite side. Pinch the dough to seal it.


They turned out very well with the puff pastry dough. I was worried it would be too thick and not fry all the way through.


I bought Torani dark chocolate sauce just for these. Alittle bit more expensive, but worth it. I wanted to make homemade caramel, but I got lazy.


Last words I shall say are cinnamon and sugar. That is all. ..... and nutella.


Fried Banana Nutella Rolls
Recipe adapted from Erica's Sweet Tooth
Yield: 9 rolls

1 package (17.3 oz) frozen puff pastry dough
5 bananas, halved
1 cup Nutella
Vegetable, peanut or canola oil for frying (I used vegetable)
1/2 cup caster sugar*
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Dark chocolate sauce (optional)
Caramel sauce (optional)
Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)

Directions
Take box of dough out of freezer and place on counter for 30-40 minutes. Unwrap the folded dough and lay flat. Don't wait too long, because if the dough becomes fully to room temperature, it becomes harder to unwrap the folded layers. If however, you wait too long like I did, you can use a rolling pin to roll it out.

*You can make caster sugar by pulsing 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in the blender until it is super-fine but not powdery. Place in a bowl and stir in cinnamon. Set aside.

Once the dough is at room temperature, use a rolling pin to make the dough as flat as you can, but still able to keep its shape, so you can pick it up and move it. Use flour to dust the rolling pin and dough. Cut dough into 6 inch x 6 inch wrappers. 

Put 2 tablespoons of the nutella in the center of the wrapper and then place half a banana in the corner. Wrap that corner over the banana. Then bring the corners to the left and right of the banana in together and pinch them together to combine them. Then roll the banana to the last corner on the opposite side. Pinch the dough to seal it.

Heat 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees and place about 3 rolls into the oil at a time, frying for about 2 minutes on both sides, or until they are nice and golden.

Carefully, use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove rolls, shake off excess oil, and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm with ice cream and enjoy!

1 comment:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Installation and Coding by Designs by Linds 2011